Connect with us

Animals

14 Human Foods That Are Dangerous for Dogs and Cats

Below you’ll find an inventory of folk foods to avoid feeding your pets. While regardless of how cautious you’re, your pet should eat something it shouldn’t. If you think your pet features a gastrointestinal disorder, contact your local vet or the closest emergency clinic.

Not all human foods can be considered healthy for a pet

Find here the highest common human foods to avoid feeding your pet:

  1. Chocolate
    Many people love chocolate, and it has many health benefits, but chocolate is toxic to cats and dogs, while bitter chocolate is more toxic than chocolate thanks to its high levels of cocoa. Dark chocolate (like baker’s chocolate) contains the foremost theobromine, making it more dangerous than chocolate or chocolate.
  1. Xylitol

Xylitol may be a common artificial additive within the U.S. it’s categorized as a sugar alcohol, and most ordinarily used as a low-calorie artificial sweetener in gum, candy, toothpaste, and other sweets. While xylitol has no known toxicity to humans, it can cause hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) and liver failure in dogs as a result of its effects on insulin regulation. Initial signs of exposure include vomiting, loss of coordination, and fatigue. Within a half-hour after eating, the dog may vomit, be lethargic (tired), and/or be uncoordinated.

  1. Caffeine
    Caffeine is often found in many food items like coffee, tea, cocoa, chocolate, sodas, and energy drinks.

If caffeine is consumed in large amounts, it can cause cats and dogs seizures, tremors, rapid heart bit and breathing, and restlessness.

  1. Grapes & Raisins
    It is unknown why grapes and raisins can cause health problems in some animals, but ingesting them can cause a renal failure which may be life-threatening. it’s best to avoid them completely.
  2. Alcohol
    Ingesting even a touch amount of alcohol can cause dogs various problems like vomiting, diarrhea, seizures, decreased coordination, and even death, counting on the number of alcohol consumed.
    Alcohol can affect the liver and brain in the same way it affects humans. The smaller the dog, the greater the effect.
  1. Onions and Garlic
    It’s a standard misconception that dogs should never consume onions, garlic, or chives. the misunderstanding stems from the very fact that at extremely high doses, these foods can cause gastrointestinal issues and red blood corpuscle damage in our four-legged friends. That said, the amounts typically added to pet foods (including treats) for flavor shouldn’t be problematic.
  2. Nuts, especially Macadamia nuts
    While eating nuts is sweet for us, most nuts are bad for dogs, especially Macadamia nuts.

Eating macadamia nuts, or products containing them. they will cause your dog vomiting, tremors, weakness, and high blood heat.

  1. Avocados, persimmons, peaches, and plums
    Eat large amounts of avocados can cause vomiting and diarrhea in dogs. The seeds from persimmons can affect the intestines, and therefore the pits from peach and plum contain cyanide which is toxic for both humans and dogs. Visit NomNomNow’s petfood recipes to find out more about fresh food options for your dog.
  2. Yeast Dough
    When you bake bread, the dough must rise. Ingesting yeast dough can affect your pet’s gastrointestinal system and cause excess gas and abdominal pain. Also when the yeast ferments, it produces alcohol which is additionally bad for dogs.
  1. Raw/Undercooked Meat, Fish and Eggs
    This may be a controversial recommendation: consistent with WebMD website, raw meat, fish, and eggs may cause gastrointestinal disorder to pets thanks to bacteria like Salmonella and E. coli.

Raw eggs also contain an enzyme that decreases the absorption of biotin (a B vitamin), which may cause skin and coat problems.

I know that a lot of people feed their pets with these sorts of foods and wild dogs and cats don’t cook their raw meat before eating it, but I assume this recommendation is more for domestic instead of canine or cat.

  • In any case, I got tons of comments from people that feed their pets with a raw meet. this is often your choice, however, you would like to remember the risks, and if you select to feed your pet with meat, you’ll reduce the risks by:
  • Purchasing meat from a trusted source.
  • Use the meat immediately, or freezing it in individual serve-sized packets for future use.
  • Using safe food handling techniques (clean and sterilize all equipment).
  1. Fat Trimmings and Bones
    Another controversial recommendation from the WebMD website relates to the remains of your foods which will include meat fat and bones.

Bones are dangerous for pets as they will cause your pet to choke thereon, and sharp parts of them can injure the alimentary canal. However, I got tons of comments from people that prefer to feed their pets with the above foods. In any case, this is often your choice as this is your pet, but you ought to remember the advice.

  1. Milk and dairy products
    Dairy products can cause indigestion and diarrhea for pets because they don’t have an outsized amount of the enzyme lactase which breaks down lactose in dairy products.
  2. Salt
    Eat large amounts of salt can cause poisoning in pets. Symptoms include vomiting, diarrhea, tremors, seizures, high blood heat, and even death.
  3. Sugar
    Sugar isn’t toxic but an excessive amount of sugar can affect pets because it affects humans and should cause dental problems, behavioral issues, obesity, and even diabetes. There are more human foods, but we have mentioned common ones and in the upcoming articles we will look at them
    What about spoiled food?
    This is an old argument. Some people argue that it’s okay to feed your pet food that has “gone bad.” They claim that dogs/cats eat dead and spoiled things within the wild.

Feeding your pet the proper food and keeping an eye fixed for unusual symptoms which will indicate a gastrointestinal disorder will enable you and your pet to enjoy each other’s company for several years to return.

For more information on human foods that are dangerous for pets, visit the ASPCA (American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals) Animal Poison Control Center. If you suspect that your pet has eaten a potentially hazardous item, contact your veterinarian immediately.

More articles: https://noisynews.us/

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Trending